Speak Out: Chrysler to build Jeeps in China

Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 7:56 PM:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130114/AUTO04/301140373

"Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said the automaker plans to build some Jeeps in China for the local market -- and later, in Russia.

"As part of our global expansion of the Jeep brand, there are some cars -- that because of the price position in the market -- can never be made in the U.S. and exported," Marchionne told reporters on the sidelines of the North American International Auto Show. "We're going to be announcing the first step in the globalization of Jeep (in China). There's another one that's going to come in Russia. These things are part of a natural process of expansion."

Marchionne said he will keep "the pillar cars of the Jeep (brand) in the United States. Wrangler is one. The Grand Cherokee is another. These are things that need to be protected because they represent the best and the essence of Jeep. If you tell me I cannot make a Patriot somewhere else, I might as well go out of the market."

_______

When Mitt Romney reported this during the campaign, it was branded the 'lie of the year'.

I wonder when they'll apologize for that.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2012/dec/12/lie-year-2012-Romney...

The ad, which they branded a lie, was factual in every way.

Replies (32)

• They're building Jeeps in China for the Chinese, which was announced a while back. But, the ad that was denounced said nothing contrary to that. Poltifact pounced on the fact that Mr. Romney had earlier said 'I read a story today that...Jeep was moving production to China'. Since he began that with the disclaimer that he read it, it was not a lie, the story did exist and he probably read it.

The ad did not say Jeep was moving production, it said they were going to build Jeeps in China, which is exactly what is happening.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 8:21 PM
  • They're building Jeeps in China for the Chinese, which was announced a while back. But, the ad that was denounced said nothing contrary to that. Poltifact pounced on the fact that Mr. Romney had earlier said 'I read a story today that...Jeep was moving production to China'. Since he began that with the disclaimer that he read it, it was not a lie, the story did exist and he probably read it.

The ad did not say Jeep was moving production, it said they were going to build Jeeps in China, which is exactly what is happening.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 8:21 PM
  • American companies drill for oil where the oil is. Why not build cars where the customers are?

Shapley, You have been to China. Would you see this as a good thing for the Chinese? Best I can tell their cars could benefit from some American help.

Romney is old news. :)

-- Posted by Old John on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:07 PM
  • "The ad, which they branded a lie, was factual in every way."

The campaign ad, which may have been confusing to you, though I seriously doubt that, was clearly intended to convince voters that US jobs were to be moved to China. That was not the case, therefore it was appropriatly branded as false.

From your post, production of US jeeps will continue to be done here. ("Marchionne said he will keep "the pillar cars of the Jeep (brand) in the United States.")

Production of jeeps for China (built to their standards) will be done in China. Why is this so difficult to understand?

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:25 AM
  • Whatever the ad may have been 'intended to convince voters', the wording of the ad was factual.

Old John:

Yes, I think it will be a good thing for the Chinese. Their standard of living is rising, and they have a demand for automobiles. If we can sell them 'American' automobiles, it will be good for everyone.

We buy 'Japanese' cars made over here all the time. It's been good for America. My bone is not with Chrysler for making a smart business move, but with the press for lying by calling the truth a lie in order to help re-elect Mr. Obama.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:29 AM
  • I'm surprised CSM had time to spin this one with getting ready for the Inauguration and all.

-- Posted by Mowrangler on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:59 AM
  • "Production of jeeps for China (built to their standards) will be done in China. Why is this so difficult to understand?"

It's not hard to understand at all.

Chrysler will build Jeeps in China. Poltifact called that a lie. In fact, they called that the lie of the year. It is the truth. Why is that so difficult to understand.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:35 AM
  • Politifact - like many of the so-called "truth" web sites - is liberal and democrats like to use it because it's name has the word "fact" in it and it appears to be some authority on validating statements. It is not. It is very biased to liberal democrats and Obama.

That would be the same as having an ID of "commonsensematters" and then posting things with no common sense. As if the ID validates the spun statements. :-) common...

-- Posted by not_sorry on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 8:40 AM
  • I would suspect the Chinese will get the Fiat version of what a Jeep should be. Fix It Again Tony?

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 9:38 AM
  • I doubt it. If it's going to have the 'Jeep' name on it, it will have to built to Jeep standards. Volkswagon built Beetles in Brazil, Toyota builds Toyotas in America, and all are expected to meet the quality standards that buyers expect from automobiles that bear the name.

When I was in China, they wer buying Toyotas and Hondas, as well as Chinese-made and Korean-made cars. If America can make a few bucks off the brand name of American cars and trucks, even if the manufacturing is carried out in China, it will help ease our trade deficit and promote American products to a wider market. I'm all for that.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:01 AM
  • "Mitt Romney's claim that President Barack Obama and the Chrysler corporation were shifting jobs out of America and into China was named PolitiFact's "Lie of the Year."

It would seem that Governor Romney is still wrong. Jobs are not being shifted. Different jobs are being created in China.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:12 AM
  • So where do they make the batteries for the car that will save the company Obama saved?

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:19 AM
  • All minerals are "real earth minerals" some are just more "rare" than others.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 10:45 AM
  • "It would seem that Governor Romney is still wrong. Jobs are not being shifted. Different jobs are being created in China."

Mr. Romney didn't say jobs were being shifted. How difficult is that to comprehend?

He did say he read they were being shifted, but that's not what he said in the ad. He was probably honest in saying he read it, since it was written. In order to make their claim that it was dishnonest, Poltifact had to connect the ad to the speech.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 11:13 AM
  • Meanwhile the great Obama jobs council hasn't met in a year.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 11:37 AM
  • "He did say he read they were being shifted, but that's not what he said in the ad."

Talk about quibbling...

Both of know what he wanted voters to think.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 12:13 PM
  • "Both of know what he wanted voters to think."

So the truth is a lie and a lie is the truth, in your book. Alas! such is the state of America today.

It's not quibbling. If I say "I read in an article today the Earth is actually cooling" as opposed to saying simply "The Earth is actually cooling", then I have spoken the truth, regradless of the actual temperature change. (I actually did read that today, BTW, though I'm not yet convinced of the article's accuracy.)

If someone challenges me and says "Mr. Hunter is lying because he says the Earth is actually cooling", then that someone is the one who is lying, not me.

If you can't see the difference, you are blinded.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 12:21 PM
  • "If you can't see the difference, you are blinded."

Of course I can see the difference, but I also recognize intent.

-- Posted by commonsensematters on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 12:30 PM
  • Whoopie, with all of the lying ads the Democrats were running, Common is trying to pick the Flyshat out of the Pepper with his recognition of intent.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 12:35 PM
  • "Of course I can see the difference, but I also recognize intent."

You assume intent, you cannot verify it. Nor does intent change the fact that the statements made were true.

-- Posted by Shapley Hunter on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 12:36 PM
  • Considering what Romney said or said he read is a safer discussion for the liberal mind than considering what Obama said he didn't say and did.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 12:36 PM
  • -- Posted by Old John on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 11:48 PM
  • From the link above: "Beginning in 2014, it will build at least one Jeep model in Melfi, Italy, too. Jeep's upcoming compact offering will be built alongside the Fiat 500X on which its based, with sales planned for both Europe and the United States."

Sounds like China gets the Fiat version of a Jeep too.

-- Posted by Old John on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 11:52 PM
  • I can't help remembering when AMC partnered with Renault. That was when AMC had Jeep. So long AMC.

American Chrysler Corporation, deminished by Diamler will now be finished by the Fiat.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 1:55 AM
  • Is the Chrysler the same on that Obama bailed out with the taxes I pay? Then was sold to Fiat?

The only thing I remember about the AMC was a friend of mine in high school had a lime-green AMC "Gremlin". I remember it had a setting on it's air conditioning of "desert". Imagine that - a "desert" setting on the climate control for the bootheel.

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 10:27 AM
  • Dug,

Was he the guy used in that add a couple of years ago... or was it you? :-)

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 10:55 AM
  • Was he the guy used in that add a couple of years ago... or was it you? :-) -- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 10:55 AM

Didn't see the ad. Was it a short, fat grey-haired guy? If so, it might have been me! :-)

-- Posted by not_sorry on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 12:05 PM
  • Dug the ad had to do with advertising. I cannot remember all of it, but this 18 - 22 year old kid is searching the ads as I remember it and you hear him saying something to the effect.... Sweet Mother of Mary "a lime green hatchback".

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 7:18 PM
  • Wasn't it the Big Nash.... Ambassador I think, they used to call the mechanized bedroom?

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 9:06 PM
  • "Going on Right Now at Your Greater St. Louis Rambler Dealer"

No Cash Needed

No Payments for 6 Weeks

$1795 Brand New 1960 Rambler American De Luxe 2-Door Sedan [See the lowest priced, American-made automobile at these dealers:

Rick, I don't think it was AMC yet in '60

Dug, I get mixed up about the desert setting. It was either recirculated dryer air or ventilated cooling to add humitity. Never the less their climate control system remained the same out dated cf all the way into the '80s.

-- Posted by Old John on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 11:40 PM
  • "It was either recirculated dryer air or ventilated cooling to add humitity."

Old John,

From a logical standpoint at least in this climate if you wanted it to be more desert like, it would be recirculated drier air. Bringing in outdoor air around Missouri would tend to add moisture.

-- Posted by Have_Wheels_Will_Travel on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 12:30 AM
  • Wheels, They sold them cars in the D.C. market too. Lots of hot air up there.

I think your right now that I think of it. Desert would indicate dry air like in the desert. There were swamp coolers of the '50s to reference to back then.

-- Posted by Old John on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 12:51 AM

Respond to this thread